I posted on IGTV every day for five days as part of the Key Frames’ #comfortzonechallenge and I was overwhelmed with messages from women saying saying they wished they had the confidence to show up on video and IGTV. So I thought I’d write a summary of my experience, the benefits of using video and why sometimes we must adopt the attitude of f*ck the fear, and do it anyway.
Before I go into the benefits of video marketing, I think it’s important to discuss why we have so much fear when it comes to putting ourselves out there online. I read a really interesting article by Jennifer Wild, a writer for Refinery 29, who challenged the idea of fear and perfectionism in her latest piece “An ode to being average at everything“. She discussed how an increasing number of people suffer from perfectionism which can lead to us not finishing tasks. Even worse, it can stop us from starting all together.
She goes on to say “Dare to be average. Giving yourself permission to do an average rather than a perfect job makes it easier to start. The fear of failing to live up to superhuman standards instantly dissolves. And once you start, you unlock the likelihood that you’ll keep going. So, make the focus to cross the start line rather than aiming perfectly to reach the finish line.” I hope this gives you the permission you need to go out and just give it a go – whatever “it” is, you’ll never know unless you try it!
So, why should we be using video as a marketing tool?
Did you know that video is *the* most popular form of content for users and that the average user spends 88% more time on a website that has video.
After posting on IGVT for a week I saw a spike in followers (over 400 in one week!). After sharing my findings via Instagram stories I had an influx of DM’s from women saying they’d like to show up more but are scared. So to that I say f*ck the fear.
“Fear is nothing but faith in reverse! The foundation on which both faith and fear rests is belief in something.”– Napoléon Hill
We talked about fear during our panel last week in Manchester and Liane the founder of @suparealmcr quoted Napoléon Hill saying “fear is nothing but faith in reverse! The foundation on which both faith and fear rests is belief in something.”
Basically, if you believe in something enough you HAVE to do it. Have faith in yourself. I know it sounds cliche but life is too short not to.
We have been blessed with a voice and a platform on which we can be ACTIVE participants. Many women in this world are denied a voice and oppressed beyond belief. We owe it to those women not to be fearful but to stand up for what we belief in. Having a voice and using it is key in making a change in the world… no matter how small, change is change.
What did I learn about posting IGTV’s across the week?
- It’s such a great exercise in exploring your knowledge and the value you can bring to your audience.
- People enjoy hearing what you have to say, if they’re following you it’s because they share your values and genuinely want to hear what you have to say.
- It’s not as scary as it seems. After the first one of two you’ll find you’re on a roll!
- I lost 45 followers and gained 446 in a week!! Many of these will have started following me as a result of my Manchester launch but it’s still a pretty big increase in 7 days and well worth giving video a go to see if it works for you and your business.
So what are you waiting for? Head over to IGTV, upload and see how your audience engage. It’s a trial and error process so give it a go and have fun with it!
About the author
Lara Sheldrake is a Social Media Strategist and Founder at Found & Flourish. Lara writes and speaks on the topics of entrepreneurship, motherhood and social media for business. She also hosts the Bossing It podcast, aimed at empowering the next generation of female founders in the UK. Send Lara an email. You can also find her on Instagram @Lara_Sheldrake or Twitter @Lara_Sheldrake.
- Get 20% off Milly&sissy’s hair & body wash gift set
- From feeling lost in life, to a job loss, to starting two businesses
- #HOWSHEDIDIT: Meet Camilla & Andrea, Co-founders of Milly & Sissy
- 10% off Online Tool Solution by Remote Hub Solutions
- Get 15% off your first order of Better Nature’s delicious, all-natural meat alternatives!
Like what you read?
Sign up to out newsletter for regular updates!
Sign up to the Found & Flourish monthly newsletter to receive curated resources, insights