There are a few simple considerations when setting up and/or running your social media account.
Here are some basic considerations for those who don’t know where to start.
- First appearances count so make sure your picture, username and bio are relevant and a fair representation of your business and brand.
Post with purpose
- Guy Kawasaki and Peg Fitzpatrick authors of “The art of social media” says you should always post content with the goal of your audience wanting to share it.
- So think about what content you want to share? Who is your audience? How can you tell your story whilst offering value to your audience?
Tip: Avoid alienating or isolating your audience by sharing something that isn’t going to resonate with them.
- Needs to be visually pleasing/eye catching and ideally representative of your brand and colours if possible. Think of your grid as your profile. When you look at it do you feel it gives the most accurate representation of your brand/business/product or service?
Hashtags & search terms
- What are the most popular search terms related to your business?
Cross platform integration
- Share your content across your social media platforms, include links on your website and make sure your bios are all the same. Consistency is key.
Tip: Your audience may vary from platform to platform, so although your profile consistency is key, you may want to consider how your content may also vary depending on which platform you are posting.
Call to action
- What do you want your audience to do with your post. SHARE/TAG/LIKE Click on the link in your bio?
Tip: Have your end goal in mind. Are you selling event tickets? Wanting people to sign up to your newsletter?
- Use platforms like Instagram chat groups/FB groups/Twitter chat and forums etc and share your content
Tip: Don’t be afraid to PR yourself, this is what social media is all about and as long as you are offering value to your audience and believe in what you are sharing… people will start engaging with your brand. If you are consistent with your posting/content and messaging, you should grow a loyal “fan base” and eventually loyal customer base. CONSISTENCY CONSISTENCY CONSISTENCY
For more tips and tricks on how to get the most out of your social media, contact Lara for a 121 coaching call or meeting to discuss how she can support you and your business.
About the author
Lara Sheldrake is a Social Media Strategist and Co-founder at Found & Flourish. Lara writes and speaks on the topics of entrepreneurship, motherhood and social media for business. She also hosts the Bossing It podcast, aimed at empowering the next generation of female founders in the UK. Send Lara an email. You can also find her on Instagram @Lara_Sheldrake or Twitter @Lara_Sheldrake.
- Why you should digitally detox over Christmas
- How to step away from work over Christmas
- How to embrace flexible working as a small business
- 50% off discount code for the Harper’s Bazaar at Work Summit event
- Who is funding your startup dreams?
Like what you read?
Sign up to out newsletter for regular updates!
Sign up to the Found & Flourish monthly newsletter to receive curated resources, insights