As a social media consultant, I work with a lot of clients who know they need an online presence but aren’t sure how they can use online platforms such as Instagram to serve them and their business.
Leveraging social media for your business can be transformative for building communities and in turn monetising your offering. With this in mind, I thought I’d share some tips and tricks on how you can align with your business goals and the kind of things you should be considering,
Let’s start with some statistics
- There are now 3.484 billion active social media users around the world
- The UK has 45 million social media users. This equates to 67% of the entire population. Of these, 39 million are mobile social media users. So if you are not optimising your campaigns for mobile, then your content will not be having the desired effect.
- There are 24M users on instagram in the UK which is 42% of the UK population.
- According to Instagram, 80% of users follow a business or a brand so are looking for inspiration.
- 61% of Instagram’s users are aged 18-34
- There are currently 326 million monthly active users on Twitter globally
- Facebook has over 2 billion active users globally and is ranked third most popular online platform after Google and Youtube.
- According to Facebook Audience Insights, there are 35-40 million monthly active users on the platform in the UK. Of these, 52% identify as women and 48% men (based on users aged 18 and older).
- Every day, the average UK based user spends 1 hour 50 minutes scrolling through social media sites.
As you can see, lots of reasons to utilise social media platforms and to know how to get the most out of them for you and your brand or business.
Know your “Why?”
Before you get started, know your “why?”. Ask yourself the following questions:
- Why do I want to use social media?
- Why is it worth investing my time into it?
Then it’s good to dig a little deeper when considering the various social media platforms:
- What is my message?
- Who am I speaking to?
- What is the purpose of this channel?
- How can it serve me to achieve my business goals?
Followers for followers sake will not drive revenue — think about your goal and be specific.
It’s about being social
For companies that sell B2C products that are really visual, it can seem obvious. But if this isn’t you, that doesn’t mean that instagram isn’t for you
Ultimately social media is about exactly that – being social. It’s about the community. So what communities are your business a part of? Of course, there are your customers, but there are also your employees, suppliers and partners.
In the case of B2B companies like Salesforce which has over 70k followers on Instagram, they demonstrate company culture, share ideas, talk about what their employees are up to and use social media to show off their personality.
At its most basic level, Instagram is a good platform to explore your personality, tone of voice and company culture. Does your brand has a sense of humour? Show it! What are the values of your company? Demonstrate them!
For more tips and tricks on how to get the most out of your social media, contact Lara for a 121 coaching call or meeting to discuss how she can support you and your business.
Sprout Social, a social media software platform – https://sproutsocial.com/insights/social-media-statistics/
The latest UK Social media statistics for 2019 – https://www.avocadosocial.com/latest-social-media-statistics-and-demographics-for-the-uk-in-2019/
About the author
Lara Sheldrake is a Social Media Strategist and Co-founder at Found & Flourish. Lara writes and speaks on the topics of entrepreneurship, motherhood and social media for business. She also hosts the Bossing It podcast, aimed at empowering the next generation of female founders in the UK. Send Lara an email. You can also find her on Instagram @Lara_Sheldrake or Twitter @Lara_Sheldrake.
- FREE DAY PASS and 10% discount off monthly workspace at Cuckooz Nest
- #HOWSHEDIDIT: Meet Ellen Donnelly, Founder of The Ask
- FREE access for F&F Members, to Bloom’s Lessons in Entrepreneurship Event
- Mentoring 101
- How to get your dream clients on Instagram
Like what you read?
Sign up to out newsletter for regular updates!
Sign up to the Found & Flourish monthly newsletter to receive curated resources, insights